Friday, January 13, 2012

Teresa Palmer Is One To Watch In 2012

We're keeping an eye on Teresa's three upcoming projects: 'Wish You Were Here,' 'AWOL' and 'Warm Bodies.'
By Kara Warner


Teresa Palmer in "Wish You Were Here"
Photo: Hopscotch Films

Amazingly enough, our week of Ones to Watch in 2012 profiles is coming to an end. Over the past few days, we've highlighted a few of the stars who we feel will make the biggest impact in Hollywood this year. They are the rising stars of action, drama and blockbusters, who have the potential to be future award winners.

The latest One to Watch is Aussie-born beauty Teresa Palmer, who fits into all of those categories and has not one, but three movies in which audiences can see her this year: the Australian indie and official Sundance Film Festival selection "Wish You Were Here" opposite Joel Edgerton, '60s-set war drama "AWOL" with fellow Aussie and One to Watch Liam Hemsworth and "Warm Bodies," a zombie romance based on Isaac Marion's acclaimed novel.

MTV News was lucky enough to catch up with Palmer recently to talk about her expectations for the year and what she loves most about her upcoming films, as well as the status on Six and that "I Am Number Four" sequel.

MTV News: With the new year just getting started, do you have any specific goals or expectations for yourself?

Teresa Palmer: Every year, I write a very elaborate journal, which I find to be very therapeutic and such a nice tool to have. This year, my New Year's resolutions and goals, I had eight pages worth of stuff. Mainly it was goals that I've set for myself, and I know it's going to be a busy year. I'm sure it's going to be full of peaks and valleys, but I tend to do that every year and stick to what those goals are.

MTV : We've seen you in plenty of films before this year, but how is 2012 different from other years?

Palmer: This is the first time I've had three films come out in a year. I'm really excited because I've balanced between doing a big studio film, which I've been doing a lot in the last few years, with a cool independent. I have a cool independent film coming out called "Wish You Were Here" with Joel Edgerton and it's Australian, which is super exciting for me because I haven't been back to Australia to work in a few years. And then of course I have "Warm Bodies" coming out in August and then I have a period piece which is a much smaller movie again, set in the 1960s around the Vietnam war, called "AWOL," and that's with Liam Hemsworth. They're just very different characters. I couldn't really draw any similarities between the three girls that I play, and that's certainly a draw card for me when I select the project. It's just exciting, the diversity in the roles this year. It's great.

MTV: We've been following "Warm Bodies" for a while now. It's a very different film from what people think. How do you describe it?

Palmer: "Warm Bodies" is a truly unique zombie film. Yes, it has those elements of a zombie movie, and for those who embrace that genre, they're not going to be disappointed because we have a lot of those typical action sequences in zombie films, but really, at the heart of the story is this relationship between R and Julie, and it's unlike anything I think you've seen on film before. It's so sweet, and there's a lot humor. It really is, believe it or not, grounded in a reality. I think people can absolutely relate to R, who plays our lovable zombie. He's an outsider, and it's very much an "Edward Scissorhands"-type story and it's really beautiful how this romance blossoms. It was such a strong script and truly very special, and that's what drew me to the project in the first place. It's just exceeded my expectations throughout filming, and the little of what I've seen I'm really excited about, I think more so than any other film I've been in, which is a great step for me. And I get to see a lot more when we start doing [audio] in a few weeks.

MTV: How would you describe the look of the film?

Palmer: It's a dark, bleak world. There are 400 humans left in society, so it's very much that postapocalyptic world. Empty streets, a huge deserted airport, which always makes for an interesting backdrop. There's a lot of beauty, though, and it surrounds. I think another character in the film really is the music; it's celebrated in our movie. It's just a very eclectic film in the way that we have eccentric pieces and really interesting graffiti that maybe not everyone will notice, but so much effort was put into the look of the film, the backdrops and sets and just the feel of it, that I think it's going to be really interesting on film. We have the production designer who did "Super 8," among a bunch of other films, and it is really epic.

MTV: Is there room for a sequel, or do you feel it's a standalone film?

Palmer: I would love, love to go back and play Julie. I certainly already miss R, and I said to [director] Jonathan Levine just recently "I miss them both so much." I miss R's sweetness and how beautiful he is to Julie and how much he takes care of her. He's struggling so much with being bottled up in a zombie, he doesn't like his existence in that way, and we sort of help each other to grow. I love that. I would be so excited to do another film. At the moment, it lends itself to the one film, but we all sat around drawing up possible ideas in the air, and Isaac Marion was on set with us, and he said he has a couple of ideas. If anything, there might be a prequel, but right now, it's a standalone film. I guess it just depends.

MTV: Have you had any more discussion on the character of Six and a sequel to "I Am Number Four"?

Palmer: I have been poking around asking about that a little bit. I think of all the films I've done so far, that's the character who is most celebrated to me. I meet people who come up to me on the street and say all my lines from "I Am Number Four" and they really loved Six, which is exciting. I've been asked that question a lot recently; I really don't know. I think at the moment, there are no plans to make a sequel, which is a bummer, but you never know. It really depends on how all those sales go, the DVDs and those numbers. It's a money game, I guess, so we will see, but I would love to play her again.

What are you waiting for? Your must-see movie needs your support. It's time to show character, poise and heart. Vote for your picks now at MTV Movie Brawl 2012!

For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.

Related Videos

Diane Kruger Dido Diora Baird Dita Von Teese

No comments:

Post a Comment