Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Jonah Hill 'Not Mad' At 'Lion King' Triumph Over 'Moneyball'

'If everyone goes to see a movie that's 20 years old ... they're just going to re-release 20-year-old movies,' Hill jokes about his box-office competition.
By Kara Warner, with reporting by Vanessa WhiteWolf


Jonah Hill
Photo: MTV News

Even though Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill's well-received "Moneyball" wasn't able to conquer Disney's re-release of "The Lion King" at the box office over its opening weekend, Hill isn't worried about the potential for continued success of the underdog- and baseball-themed flick. He's worried about what message that might send to studio executives.

"I'm not mad at 'The Lion King,' " Hill said with sincerity and a smile. "I just think if everyone goes to see a movie that's 20 years old getting re-released, they're just going to re-release 20-year-old movies instead of making new original movies, and that would be a shame."

But even more newsworthy than the film's box-office haul is all the early awards buzz it is getting, specifically the positive attention Hill's performance has received. When we asked the 27-year-old what it might mean to be recognized for his work with an Oscar or Golden Globe nomination, he wasn't sure how to react just yet.

"I don't know, I don't know. I'm just really proud of the movie. Stuff like that is crazy when you hear someone ask you that question legitimately," he said. "It's really flattering and cool, but for me the whole experience has been wonderful and I'm already as proud as I would be would I get to be up for an award. I've never been up for any award in my life ... actually an MTV award [Best Comedic Performance and Best Newcomer noms for "Superbad"], so that was already exciting enough for me.

"I don't know," he continued. "Basically it's just a crazy, insane question to be asked and you don't really know what to say when someone asks you that kind of question."

No matter what happens over the course of the next few months, Hill is proud of his performance and excited that "Moneyball" is exposing him to new audiences outside of those who know him from his work in comedies.

"What's interesting to me is that it's been completely different audiences [going to see "Moneyball"]. The audiences who would see "Superbad" or "Get Him to the Greek" or "The Sitter" hasn't been the audience that's seen "Moneyball" so far. The fortunate thing for me is that I'm getting a much older audience to understand me as an actor."

Check out everything we've got on "Moneyball."

For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.

Related Videos

Dita Von Teese Dominique Swain Donna Feldman

No comments:

Post a Comment